NOTICE: Ramblings from Early Retirement has moved to ramblingsfromearlyretirement.wordpress.com. Please visit there for the latest ramblings.
Thursday, August 03, 2006
Haste Makes Waste
I've written before about slowing down and saving gasoline. An article at The Motley Fool today puts some numbers on the savings. Speeding Toward the Poorhouse says that if you're spending $30 a week on gas you could save over $300 a year by slowing down.
A lot of articles are being written about saving gasoline and most of them say to slow down. I've always driven fairly conservatively around town. I've started driving about 5 to 7 miles per hour slower than those 65 and 70 mph speed limits on the multi-lane highways and stayed close to the speed limit in the 55 and 60 mph zones. And I'm saving gas.
My 2005 Toyota Corolla is rated at 30 mpg city / 38 mpg highway. My actual mileage has typically been very close to that. My last 2 gas purchases averaged to 37.5 mpg. 436 miles of driving used 11.6 gallons of gas. About 270 miles was highway driving on a longer trip. The remaining 166 miles was driving around the KC metro area, around 40 miles on the highway, with much of the rest relatively short trips on local streets.
